What Dog Health Problem
Do You Need Help With?
Dog health problems can be common and treatable like ear infections, or life-threatening like heartworm or cancer. Canine congestive heart failure, dog tumors, bloat, arthritis, allergies. These dog illnesses as well as many others are explored on this web site.
Dog health has long been a priority for me. I know I am not alone. Many people consider dogs to be cherished members of their family and accordingly, take their role of caregiver very seriously. After all, our dogs can't make decisions on their care. They rely on us to make the right decisions for them.
Make Informed Decisions on
Your Dog's Health
I know the stress and anguish of making a decision, without enough information, regarding a surgery or treatment for one of my dogs. I developed Dog-Health-Today.com because I want to help dog parents like me make informed decisions about the care of their canine best friend. I'll provide information on common dog illnesses and traditional and alternative treatment options, as well as current research and interviews with veterinarians. I will also add to this my own firsthand experience, the treatment used, and the outcome.
Over the last 25 years, I've been dog mom to over 30 dogs. My husband and I love dogs. We love their sense of humor, their loyalty, their beauty and crazy antics. Some dogs were our own fur kids, adopted from shelters and rescues. Others were foster dogs who found their way into our hearts and home while they waited for the right family to come along.
Lots of Dogs, Lots of Experience
Caring for such a large number of dogs, including the 13 dogs currently in our home, has given me a great deal of firsthand experience with dog health problems. Over the years I have learned that each dog illness or injury must be evaluated by taking into consideration the specific dog as well as the treatment options available through both traditional and alternative (or natural) veterinary care.
Our current pack represent a number of dog health problems: Casey (photo at right), a three-year-old American Staffordshire Terrier with two torn cruciate ligaments; Rambo, a senior lab with a partial cruciate tear as well as seizures, healing well on both counts through holistic supplements; Noah, a pit bull who came to us with a cherry eye that was repaired with surgery; Yale, a 16-year-old lab diagnosed with cancer two years ago who is in remission thanks to Chinese herbs; Jack and Pablo, terrier mix brothers who came to us as puppies with ringworm eight years ago; Jack developed hypothyroidism and is on medication.
Joe, an eight-year-old Australian shepherd/beagle mix, tore a cruciate ligament last year and underwent surgery. He recovered from the surgery very well but six months later nearly died when he suddenly came down with a mysterious bacterial infection that attacked his organs. Joe recovered fully but is currently on antibiotics for a new ailment: he has licked his leg until it became infected. Like Jack, he is also on medication for hypothyroidism
Experience has taught me that the best care for my dogs is often a combination of conventional veterinary medicine and alternative remedies, including Chinese herbs and massage, chiropractic and holistic/homeopathic medicine.
Here are some additional sources if you want a second opinion or if conventional veterinary care does not seem to be resolving a health issue of your beloved canine:
- American Veterinary Chiropractic Assn., www.animalchiropractic.org
- The American Holistic Veterinary Medical Assn., www.ahvma.org
- American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture, www.aava.org
Helping You Help Your Dog
I also have experience researching and supervising treatment of additional dog health problems, including a German shorthaired pointer with kidney failure, a senior lab with an amputated leg as a result of a nerve sheath tumor, a senior corgi/shepherd with hip dysplasia and multiple foster dogs with heartworm disease and other illnesses.
My goal is to provide reliable and insightful information through interviews, research and firsthand experience, so you can help your dog reach and maintain his/her optimum health.
- About Me
- I have combined extensive research with 25+ years of experience to help solve your dog health problems.
- Contact Dog-Health-Today.com.
- Allergies in Dogs: Stop the scratching, licking and (your) headaches!
- Triggers of allergies in dogs are many, including food and vaccinations. Learn how you and your pooch can find relief.
- Dog Health Blog
- The Dog Health Blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the dog-health-today.com Web site. Subscribe here.
- All Dog Eye Problems are Potentially Serious
- Dog eye problems should not be ignored. Learn what to do if your dog's eye is blinking, watery, cloudy or red.
- Does Your Dog Have Canine Congestive Heart Failure?
- Canine congestive heart failure can go undetected for months or years. Learn the symptoms so you can avoid heart damage and extend your best friend's life.
- Dog Illnesses
- Guide to recognizing and treating common dog illnesses.
- Dog Parasites Can Be Hazardous to Your Furry Friend's Health
- Guide to preventing and treating dog parasites.
- Prevent Dog Poisoning by Knowing the Threats
- A guide to keep your furry friend safe from dog poisoning.
- Do Dog Vaccinations Cause Disease?
- Core dog vaccinations are rabies, distemper and parvo virus. Some vaccines, like leptospirosis, are more harmful than helpful.
- Worms in Dogs Can Be a Sign of Poor Nutrition
- Worms in dogs, left untreated, can lead to serious conditions like anemia.
- Controlling Canine Kidney Disease
- Learn how I used Chinese medicine to successfully fight canine kidney disease.
- Guide to Dog Tumors
- Dog tumors can be treated with conventional and alternative medicine. Learn how I used Chinese Medicine to eliminate a cancerous tumor from my dog's foot.
- Guide to Dog Flea Control
- Dog flea control can be handled with natural, non-toxic treatment and prevention.
- Dog Ticks are a Threat to Your Canine Best Friend
- Dog ticks can cause serious illness or even death. Learn how to protect your fur kid.
- Dog Ear Mites: Don't Put off Treatment
- Dog ear mites cause an infection that must be treated or your canine best friend may develop serious health issues such as deafness.
- Dog Heartworm Symptoms: Do You Know What to Look For?
- Early detection of dog heartworm symptoms can save your canine best friend's life.
- Dog Allergy Symptoms are Your Dog's Call for Help
- Scratching, itching, biting & hives are dog allergy symptoms.
- Library of Free Dog Health Articles
- Articles on dog health issues by veterinarians and experienced dog owners. Find the insights you need to keep your dog healthy.
- Best Dog Health Books
- Editor selected top shelf books on dog illnesses, prevention and holistic and conventional treatment.
- Diabetes in Dogs Cannot be Cured, but It Can be Managed.
- Blood and urine tests will determine diabetes in dogs. Through proper diet, exercise and insulin, your dog can live a happy, quality life.
- Canine Cataracts Affect Dogs of All Ages
- Old age causes canine cataracts but so do a number of other factors. Is your dog at risk?
- Cherry Eye in Dogs Often Appears in Specific Breeds
- Cherry eye in dogs is not just unattractive. It can also cause discomfort and pain. Is your dog at risk?